Never trust a man who doesn’t drink, son. As a young man my very wise father shared this useful knowledge. And history has proven these words to be self evident. Oddly, all Presidents on the list are members of the Republican party, or were Whigs, a precursor to the GOP.
To be fair and balanced it should be noted that Ulysses S Grant was considered America’s Drunkest President and also a member of the Republican party.
US Presidents who did not drink in office.
William H. Harrison (1841) Whig
- William H. Harrison abstained from alcohol his entire life.
- The first president to die in office.
Zachary Taylor (1849-1850) Whig
- Zachary Taylor abstained from alcohol his entire life.
- The second president to die in office
Rutherford B. Hayes (1877-1881) Republican
- Rutherford B. Hayes was a prominent teetotaler. During his presidency there was no smoking or drinking in the White House.
- Only President not to run for re-election.
William H. Taft (1909-1913) Republican
- Taft was a teetotaler but indulged in eating, a lot.
- Dumbest President ever, remembered for getting stuck in a White House bathtub.
George W. Bush (2001-2009) Republican
- An avid alcoholic, cocaine connoisseur and pill popping party animal, George W. found Jesus before giving it all up. It is reported the former President has been sober since the late 1980’s.
- Worst President in History